Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Stormtroopers in a Helicopter!

The Oro Valley Police Department asked my husband's Star Wars group to provide "entertainment" for a drug awareness event at a park. The event was for 5th grade school kids from all over Oro Valley.  The Star Wars people that were working in law enforcement got a special treat. They got to ride in a helicopter from the local air force base to the event. Cool! My husband and his friends were sooo excited. There were four of them that were able to fly.

downtown Tucson
I packed up the kids and headed down to the park to see him land. It was really neat and the kids were waving trying to get Daddy's attention. I ran into a family from our homeschool park day and had a great time herding our kids around to all of the law enforcement vehicles on display there.

It was really a great day. I am always so happy to see the "Star Wars Guys". They are really some of the most friendly and generous people I meet. I thought they did a great job entertaining the kids and taking pictures with them.



hubby is on top
A Bit Of A Rant:
The event seemed to be well run and the law enforcement, fire fighters, and border patrol people were all great. I know that drug education is important, but should we really be talking about cocaine to 5th graders? It seemed to me that maybe they should have talked more about prescription drugs, smoking, and weed? Many of the kids jerks and I had to tell a group of boys several times not to poke (pull or annoy) one of the stormtroopers. I don't know who was supposed to be watching them, but there was no one with that group of 10-12 kids. Anyway, other than the school kids, the event was great! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment