Here is my rough draft for the test. I will post up the finished copy later if anyone is interested in using it.
3rd Grade Skills Test (1st quarter)
1. Write 2-4 lines of a poem that you memorized this quarter. Please include the title and author.
2. Write this sentence in cursive.
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
1. (I will read the sentence and he will write it).
"In spring, the boy and the rabbit spent long days in the garden." from The Velveteen Rabbit
1. Write a narrative about the following story.
Mercury and the Woodman
A Woodman was felling a tree on the bank of a river, when his axe,
glancing off the trunk, flew out of his hands and fell into the water.
As he stood by the water's edge lamenting his loss, Mercury appeared
and asked him the reason for his grief. On learning what had happened,
out of pity for his distress, Mercury dived into the river and,
bringing up a golden axe, asked him if that was the one he had lost.
The Woodman replied that it was not, and Mercury then dived a second
time, and, bringing up a silver axe, asked if that was his. "No,
that is not mine either," said the Woodman. Once more Mercury dived
into the river, and brought up the missing axe. The Woodman was
overjoyed at recovering his property, and thanked his benefactor
warmly; and the latter was so pleased with his honesty that he made
him a present of the other two axes. When the Woodman told the story
to his companions, one of these was filled with envy of his good
fortune and determined to try his luck for himself. So he went and
began to fell a tree at the edge of the river, and presently contrived
to let his axe drop into the water. Mercury appeared as before, and,
on learning that his axe had fallen in, he dived and brought up a
golden axe, as he had done on the previous occasion. Without waiting
to be asked whether it was his or not, the fellow cried, "That's mine,
that's mine," and stretched out his hand eagerly for the prize: but
Mercury was so disgusted at his dishonesty that he not only declined
to give him the golden axe, but also refused to recover for him the
one he had let fall into the stream.
"Honesty is the best policy." Aesop
1. Describe your favorite book from this quarter. Please include the title and author.
2. Tell a story from another book from this quarter. Please include the title and author.
1. Underline the subject and circle the predicate in the sentence.
Pythons are snakes.
2. Diagram these sentences.
The Sahara Desert is dry.
Mount Rushmore is spectacular.
3. Write the definition of a noun.
4. List 5 linking verbs.
5. Change these words to plurals.
1. Describe something we learned about in history. Make sure to use names, locations, and details.
1. Please write the name of the states on the map for the following numbers. 6, 19, 24, 36, 47, 50
2. What is a valley?
3. Name the 5 oceans. Circle the two that surround North America.
Natural History and General Science
1. What order does the beaver belong to? Describe the beavers traits and habitat.
2. Describe one other animal. Remember to add information about its habitat, traits, and enemies.
3. Name three types of matter and explain why water can be each of them.
1. Lexile Level of last book read
2. Schonell reading test score
1. Math-U-See 6-14 unit test