England After the Conquest
(Story of the World, Volume 2, Chapter 16)
The English Language
1. Listen to the audio book selection or read pages 140 - 144, "The English Language", from the Story of the World book.
2. Watch : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Tfbeqyu2U
3. Set up your notebook.
4. NO timeline entries for this chapter.
5. Fill out the map.
Serfs and Noblemen
1. Read pages 144 - 147, "Serfs and Nobleman", from the Story of the World book.
2. Read page 220, "The Feudal System", from The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History
3. Fill out the Feudalism mini book and copywork in your notebook.
1. Read pages 147 - 151, "Stone Castles", from the Story of the World book.
2. Read pages 224 - 225, "Living in a Castle, from The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History
3. Complete Castle coloring page. http://images.scholastic.co.uk/assets/a/09/71/lt9111151-sip-13-468550.jpg
Harvesting and winnowing.
1. Watch Castle by David Macaulay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbPShUpjpg
2. Look through Eyewitness Books, "Castle". Add any interesting items to your notebook. Use Google to research further. Fill in your notebook with your findings.
I chose to look up falconry and the medieval farming year which led me to winnowing. This really gave me an understanding of how hard it was just to stay alive in the middle ages!