Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Ecce Romani 1



We started Latin last year, when someone offered to lead a class. We used Latin for Children, Primer A, as our text. Although the class and teacher were excellent, it moved to fast for my kids. This year we are using Ecce Romani I as our text. Ecce Romani has a story and gives us glimpses into life in Rome. I prefer that much more to the very formal style (imo) of Latin for Children. We are probably going to move through it at a snail's pace, but I really want mastery before we go on.

Before we are even opening the book, I am having the kids study the chapter's vocabulary. When we have memorized that, we will go through the chapter in the book. I am planning on following this same procedure for each chapter.

I have the kids write down five of the words with their definitions and then study them quietly. They study those for a few days, then move on to the next five. Every few days I say a Latin word and they say the definition. Then I will say the definition and they tell me the Latin.


As you can see by the page here, translating starts right off. Once familiar with the vocabulary we should be able to focus on the structure of the sentences. It helps to be strong in English grammar concepts. We are working on the concepts we will need for Latin in our grammar lessons too.

Are your kids learning Latin? If so, what do you use and why do you like it?

By the way, we only study for 15 minutes per lesson. We tried studying Latin for Children for about 3 hours a week and I don't think we got any further than we are getting with just 15 minutes of focused attention. You CAN fit it into your day if you feel up to it!

Happy Homeschooling
-Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment