Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2014

September Fun Stuff



There are national "days, weeks, and months" for almost anything. Those that are absolutely inspirational and others that are not so much. Did you know that September 5th was National Be Late for Something Day? Yes, really.

Here is our list of some of the one from a long list that we are going to explore and how I plan on implementing them. I hope you will join us! - Michele


September Fun Days
September is National Courtesy Month
*We will be watching, "Time For Table Manners", a Disney Educational film. My kids already are pretty good at please, thank you, and basic manners. Their table manners could use some work though. This one is kind of fun too.

September 1st - Labor Day
"Why do Americans and Canadians celebrate Labor Day?"

September 7th - Grandparent's Day
The kids will be making cards and we will pick up a few small items to put in a basket for each set of grandparents. I love this goofy photo album idea. 

September 12th - National Video Game Day
History of Video Games followed by some Minecraft!

September 13th - Roald Dahl and Kids Take Over the Kitchen Day
I'm thinking of having the kids make a Roald Dahl inspired dinner. I think that they could use the Three Course Gum from Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory. Anyone up for some Tomato Soup, Roast Beef & Baked Potato, and Blueberry Pie and Ice Cream. 




September 17th - Constitution and Citizenship Day
I plan on letting the kids explore this page founded by Sandra Day O'Conner. 

September 21st - Wife Appreciation Day
I think I will switch this up a bit and throw in a love note to my hubby and kids. 

September 23rd - National Great American Pot Pie Day
For the PKUer in the family, I think I will us this recipe with modifications: 
Veggie Pot Pie
160gm potatoes cut into small cubes
50 gm onion, chopped
75 gm carrots, sliced
25 gm celery, sliced
1 can of swansons Vegetarian Vegetable broth
1/2 cup of non dairy creamer
1.5 tbsp butter divided
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp. sage
Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust dough ( the kind you can unroll)

Boil cubes of potatoes in veggie broth until soft, about 10 mins. Meanwhile saute onions, carrots and celery in 1/2 butter until barely tender, about 5 mins.Drain potatoes, reserve 1/2 cup broth in seperate cup. MAke a white sauce by adding melted butter, and cornstarch and whisking until smooth.Slowly add cream and veggie broth and simmer until thickeneds. Add sauteed veggies and potatoes into while sauce, along sage, and salt and pepper, if desired. Fill 2 small (4oz) aluminum pot pie tins with mixture (about 235 gms in each).Then top each pot pie with 28 gms of pie dough. Bake in oven @ 400 degree for 15 - 20 mins.

Total phe: 324
Phe pre gram: 61


and this for the dough
Pot Pie Dough

1 1/2 cups Wheat Starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Butter flavored Crisco
1 tablespoon water
2 1/2 tablespoons light Karo corn syrup

Combine wheat starch and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender, fork, or 2 knives, until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs; sprinkle water over and blend with a fork. Dribble syrup over and continue mixing with a fork. Dough will be moist. Gather dough into a ball, adding wheat starch to your hands if sticky. toll out onto surface dusted with wheat starch, or pat out into desired shape.

Makes enough dough for one of the following:
10 pot pies
8 small turnovers
4 large turnovers
four 4-inch diameter pie pans

                                
               Phenylalanine (mg)  Protein (gm)        Calories
Per recipe          29             0.5                     1696
Per pot pie          3              -                      170
Per small turnover   4             0.1                     212
Per large turnover
or 4-inch pie pan    7             0.1                     424

For the rest of us a Super Easy recipe is just what I was looking for.

September 25th - National Comic Book Day
We are kind of a nerdy family, so a trip to the comic book store is in order. I am also planning on sending my nephews and niece a few through the mail. I was also thinking about making these

haha, my skill level is no where near that! This would be great for my hubby's birthday day though. 

September 26th - National Pancake Day
Also know as, Teach the Kids to Make Their Own Pancakes Day! ;o)

September 27th - National Hunting and Fishing Day
We will be taking a trip to the National Wildlife Museum for an event specifically designed for this day. 

September 28th - National Good Neighbor Day
I think we will just be taking some cookies to our neighbors. I really want to try Loaded M&M Oreo Cookie Bars. Doesn't that sound delicious? I will need to work out an low protein version for my PKUer. Maybe gluten free fake oreos and less of the M&Ms, or a few M&Ms and butterscotch chips? 

Whatever you do don't do this!

September 29th - National Coffee Day
A trip to Starbucks would be fun, but my daughter would not be able to have anything. So, we are attempting to make them at home. She wanted to try a Cotton Candy Frappuccino, my son wanted a Coffee Frappuccino, and I love the White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino. I will need to figure out how to make these at home. I will post the recipe when I work out the details.

September 30th - National Chewing Gum Day, National Mud Pack Day
While chewing some Bubble Yum (PKU safe), we will apply our masks. I am going to try to find this one at the drugstore. Maybe we will even do some cucumbers over our eyes. 

Don't forget to check me out on Facebook!-Michele





No comments:

Post a Comment