Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Egg Tempera Painting Like Giotto

A friend of mine is teaching an Art History course using a pretty in depth book as the spine. I read the biography from the book and the kids eyes glaze a bit. I have incorporated a few Youtube videos to reinforce anything that leaks out of their brains while I'm reading. 
Today we learned about Giotto. A project suggested by the teacher, was to paint using egg tempera paints. This was the medium used at the time of Giotto. So, I used trusty old Google to help me with a recipe. 

One thing I learned while sifting through recipes is that the egg will start to stink. I don't know why this did not occur to me on my own. Anyway, my solution was to use Ener-G Egg Replacer as a substitute for the egg yolk. I did break a real egg to show the kids how it was done the-old-fashioned-way. We even released the yolk from the membrane so that the color would stick better. It was very cool. Then we mixed up the recipe for the paint and were ready to start our masterpieces. 

The recipe
sidewalk chalk
egg replacer
water
*rub the chalk back and forth in a glass bowl to produce powder. Add mixed egg replacer/water to the chalk. Pour into egg carton. Repeat with other colors. 




The kids of course did not want to draw out what they were going to paint before taking brush to page. Not being a naturally talented artist myself, I used pencil first. We talked about how much time it would take to not only make the paints, but to keep going over the painting to make the colors vivid. We also discussed apprentices and the role they played in supporting the masters as they painted.


My son didn't know that the paintings would be shared with his class, or he said he would have spent more time on it. He did not however, want to do another one. 

My daughter's painting of her and I. 

My frog on a lily pad. 

I am so glad that my friend offered this class. I would not "do" art on my own, but I do see a great deal of value in it. My kids love to draw and are actually very good (when they take their time). I am  enjoying the activities more than I thought I would. 

Happy Homeschooling
-Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment